Senior Backend Engineer II at growing lending startup at growing lending startup at Petal
Sound interesting? Then keep reading and hit that apply button!
- Write high-quality code and architect systems that often have high impact across engineering.
- Build consensus and promote collaboration across the engineering organization around large initiatives and difficult decisions
- Teach, mentor and work with other engineers to improve software and system design best practice
- Lead cross team projects, influence product design and make business vs technology trade-offs during all phases of the project lifecycle, consistently delivering on time
- Collaborate with various Petal stakeholder teams (e.g., product, analytics, operations, risk, compliance) and third-party technology vendors (e.g., credit bureaus, credit processors, bank data aggregators)
Characteristics of a successful candidate
- Experienced in designing, developing, testing, shipping, and scaling service-oriented/distributed applications or systems.
- Strong self-management, sense of ownership, and organization. Petal’s open and collaborative environment enables proactive and organized employees to really shine.
- Displays inclusivity, kindness, and humility. Our culture is what makes Petal a great place to work. We need diverse people who embody our core values to make it even greater.
- Empathetic, listens with intent. Communication of complex, ever-changing business and technology concepts is hard. Creating a shared understanding and path forward via an open discussion is commonplace at Petal.
- Passionate about systems design and robust software. Our systems change often as we work and experiment to bring credit to as many people as we can. We are passionate about software architecture and fault tolerant production systems.
- Detail-oriented; a strong focus on testing frameworks. Petal’s banking platform systems are complex and mission-critical. We rely on strong testing frameworks and a focus on the details of requirements to deliver features correctly.
- Weighs trade-offs and focuses on value delivery. A fast-paced startup demands making trade-offs that balance the near term and long term value add of solutions. At Petal, we design robust systems, but try not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
- Demonstrated expertise in Python
- Experience in a highly regulated industry such as finance or healthcare
These are all "nice-to-haves" --- we don't expect every candidate to hit every mark. Many of our engineers come from different backgrounds and career paths. We're committed to learning new skills on the job and growing as individuals.
Please let the company know you found this position via aijobsdb.com so we can keep providing you with quality jobs.
See related AI/ML jobs