Data Scientist (m/f/d) for Automated X-ray Diffraction Data Analysis at Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG), in Geesthacht, near Hamburg, and in Teltow, near Berlin, conducts materials and coastal research. For further information please refer to: www.hzg.de
HZG is one of the 19 national institutions of the Hermann von Helmholtz Association of German Research Centres e.V. (HGF). Around 1,000 employees carry out basic research and development work in close cooperation with national and international research institutions, research-oriented clinics and economic and public institutions.
At the Institute of Materials Research some 200 scientists conduct research in the five sub-institutes "Materials Mechanics", "Materials Physics", "Materials Technology", "Magnesium Innovation Centre MagIC" and "Metallic Biomaterials".
Data Scientist (m/f/d) for Automated X-ray Diffraction Data Analysis
Reference code: 50027159_2 – 2020/WP 7
Commencement date: as soon as possible
The place of employment is Hamburg
Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht (HZG) operates an outstation at DESY in Hamburg in order to provide access to highly brilliant synchrotron radiation within its German Engineering Materials Science Centre (GEMS). At the PETRA III synchrotron radiation source, HZG operates the High Energy Materials Science Beamline (HEMS, P07), the Imaging Beamline (IBL, P05) and the Nanofocus Endstation of Micro- and Nanofocus X-ray Scattering Beamline (MINAXS, P03) along with supporting laboratory instrumentation.
The primary aim of this position is to develop a software solution for user-friendly and efficient, automatic processing of large numbers of 2D X-ray diffraction datasets. The automated processing includes data visualization, reduction and a fundamental analysis. The developed software will be used at our beamlines (in real-time, i.e. parallel to the data acquisition during experiments) and at our users’ home institutions (after the experiment). A typical experiment generates thousands of diffraction data files with a total volume easily in the terabyte range. Therefore, the processing must be optimized for high throughput, using CPU or GPU parallelization, but needs to be operable by users without any programming language skills.
The position is initially limited to 3 years and may be extended.
Your major responsibilities as a data scientist will be:
- to develop the aforementioned software solution and implement it at our beamlines and as a standalone program
- participate in beamtimes to implement the required functionality in close collaboration with beamline staff and users
- to document the software, train and support our scientists and users in its use
- to present the progress and results at national/international conferences and workshops
These qualifications are essential to fulfil the above-mentioned duties:
- master's degree (or higher) in computer science, physics, mathematics, life science or equivalent
- proficiency in at least two programming languages
- experience in software development
- ability to generate performance-optimized code and ergonomic user interfaces
- excellent English and good German language skills
These qualifications are considered assets:
- experience with diffraction data analysis
- experience with working at a synchrotron beamline (staff or user)
- PhD degree in any of the above disciplines
We offer you
- multinational work environment with over 1,000 colleagues from more than 50 nations
- extensive options of vocational training (i. a. expert seminars, language courses or leadership seminars)
- flexible working hours and various models to ensure the compatibility of family and career
- excellent infrastructure, including a scientific in-house library as well as modern work spaces
- an appropriate salary related to the German public tariff (TV-AVH) plus the usual social benefits for the public employment sector
The promotion of equal rights is a matter of course for us. Severely disabled persons and those equaling severely disabled persons who are equally suitable for the position will be considered preferentially within the framework of legal requirements.
For inquiries, please contact
Dr. Christina Krywka (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Interested? Then we are looking forward to receiving your comprehensive application documents (cover letter, CV, transcripts, certificates etc.) indicating the reference number 2020/WP 7.
Please start the online application process for this offered position via www.hzg.de category Career & Campus.
Closing date: August 31st, 2020
Contact: Mr. Tristan Tietz
Please let the company know you found this position via aijobsdb.com so we can keep providing you with quality jobs.
See related AI/ML jobs