Software Developer for Scientific Data Analysis Pipelines (f/m/d) at European XFEL GmbH
Join the European XFEL
European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques.
To support our Data Analysis Group we are looking for a
Software Developer for Scientific Data Analysis Pipelines (f/m/d)
The main focus of the position is to build a generic framework that embeds diverse instrument-specific near-real-time data processing/analysis pipelines to support researchers using the facility and facility staff.
As part of the Data Analysis group, you will:
- contribute to the development of automated data analysis software workflows and HPC environments, which ideally includes aspects of machine learning for decision making
- collaborate with instrument scientists and user groups implementing analysis applications within the EuXFEL data analysis tools
- collaborate with software developers of the photon science community to acquire and exchange knowledge about existing (embeddable) data processing tools, their i/o data interfaces and configurations
- translate algorithms and analysis procedures into high quality and high performance implementations
- BSc, MSc or PhD in Computer Science, Natural Sciences, Mathematics or Engineering
- at least 3 years of programming experience, ideally within a scientific context
- good knowledge of Python, and C/C++ or at least one other programming language
- experience with working in a Linux environment
- experience with parallel / high performance computing (SLURM, MPI etc.)
- experience with git or similar version control systems
- strong communication and collaboration skills
- strong oral and written English skills (language of work is English)
- willingness to undertake shift work
The following are considered as assets:
- experience with HDF5 incl. virtual data sets and analysis/processing of such data
- experience with software testing and continuous integration
- experience in photon science or working with photon scientists
- experience with machine learning / deep learning methods
- experience in software optimisation
Become part of a vibrant international and multicultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust-based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, broad relocation benefits, as well as subsidized job-tickets and meals at our company restaurant. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Company language is English, non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
Reference number: E-257
Duration: is appointment is limited to 3 years.
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single PDF-file.
We invite applications from software developers with a keen interest in working in a scientific environment, or equally research scientists with convincing experience in software engineering.
Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants. The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
Deadline: September 30th, 2020
For additional information, please contact Hans Fangohr (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
European XFEL GmbH
Holzkoppel 4, 22869 Schenefeld, Germany
Please let the company know you found this position via aijobsdb.com so we can keep providing you with quality jobs.
See related AI/ML jobs