Welcome at DLR!
Our Institute pf Data Science in Jena wishes to employ a Computer Scientist, Mathematician or similar as Head of the research group "Machine Learning".
For the DLR Institute of Data Science in Jena a new research group on “Machine Learning” is established. The building phase is in cooperation with the DLR Institute of Remote Sensing in Oberpfaffenhofen and the Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena. Furthermore, additional scientific and industrial partners within and outside of DLR are planned.
You will develop novel methods and techniques for machine learning, in particular in the area of deep learning with neural networks (DNNs). Herein, solutions shall in particular address applications from astronautics (e.g., earth observation, robotics, etc.) and be adapted to their specific requirements. Further, the developed methods shall be investigated and assessed for different kinds of training data and known physical relations shall be integrated in the learning algorithms.
Your tasks include:
- development of a strategic and technical direction of the research group
- coordination of research activities within the group
- establishment of national and international collaborations
- acquisition and management of research and development projects
- representation of the research area at conferences and in national and international councils
- technical supervision of PhD and undergraduate students
- literature survey in the area of machine learning with application in earth observation and other aeronautics applications
- development of scientific issues for the application of novel machine learning methods for aeronautics applications, such as earth observation and robotics
- advancement of machine learning methods and techniques, such as deep neural networks with hidden layers for improved detection rate and reliability
- insertion of domain-specific knowledge (e.g. real-world models such as atmospheric convection processes) into machine learning routines (e.g., though graph embedding)
- development of methods for preparing and creating training data, e.g., in the context of feature analysis of earth observation data, detection of speech patterns in textual data
- advancements of concept for combining sparsity and low-rank techniques through deep learning
- development of machine learning methods for data mining and knowledge discovery and anomaly detection in high-resolution geo data
- publication and presentation of research results at national and international conferences
- completed scientific university studies in Computer Science, Mathematics (Master/Diploma) or another comparable, related university degree with a focus on machine learning
- successfully defended PhD thesis with a focus on machine learning
- proven scientific expertise in the area of machine learning and multiple years of practical experience or deep knowledge in applying machine learning techniques in applications, e.g., computer vision, deep learning, natural language processing, or similar
- joy of working in a scientific environment
- very good written and oral English language skills
- at least good written and oral German language skills
- willingness to travel (national/international)
Look forward to a fulfilling job with an employer who appreciates your commitment and supports your personal and professional development. Our unique infrastructure offers you a working environment in which you have unparalleled scope to develop your creative ideas and accomplish your professional objectives. Our human resources policy places great value on a healthy family and work-life-balance as well as equal opportunities for persons of all genders (m/f/non-binary). Individuals with disabilities will be given preferential consideration in the event their qualifications are equivalent to those of other candidates.
Please let the company know you found this position via
so we can keep providing you with quality jobs.