Meet Bending Spoons. With millions of monthly users for our products, we're one of the leading mobile app developers in the world. With more than 60 million downloads from all over the world under its belt, the mobile video editor Splice is one of the jewels in our portfolio. Users rave about its intuitive usability, but are crazy about the powerful editing options it offers. Still, Splice is a long way from reaching its full potential. To further establish it as the go-to video editor for mobile-first creators worldwide, Splice needs a Head of Computer Vision to bring our ambitious AI strategy to life.
In your role, you’ll help us build a team of scientists and engineers and you’ll lead them to ideate and implement innovative features. Your expertise and knowledge will help you deliver ambitious visions and, with full autonomy in your work, you’ll have the freedom and resources you need to have an immense impact on the success of Bending Spoons.
A few examples of your responsibilities:
- Collaborate with product managers and help them identify ways that AI can improve the experience of our users.
- Identify the optimal AI solution to power each user-facing feature.
- Master cutting-edge research in computer vision and deep learning related fields, applied to video editing. Work to achieve technical breakthroughs.
- Help us hire and coach a world-class team of scientists and engineers, and be an inspiring model for them.
- Document and share trends in relevant technology areas with the broader organization.
What we offer
- The freedom of research, the impact of business. Explore the most exciting applications of AI in the field of mobile, and see the impact of your findings on a major commercial scale.
- Unique career opportunity. By joining in a leadership position, you’ll get to build your own team in a fast-growing company. You’ll have real responsibility and endless opportunities to learn.
- Autonomy. You’ll be responsible for your research and model setup, and no one will micromanage you. Together with your team, you’ll be free to choose a direction, test, fail, and test the next idea.
- Your work, in the hands of millions. Our apps have been downloaded hundreds of millions of times. We're a global force and your work will be enjoyed by users all over the world.
- People who lift each other up. We hire for talent and leave divas at the door. You'll find a group of truly talented Spooners who are eager to learn and teach their secrets. Reciprocal support and respect is everything—you’re unlikely to ever encounter a more harmonious crew.
- Remote working, flexible schedule, and unlimited vacations. This isn’t a “clock in, clock out” company. We care about your productivity, not tracking every minute you’re on site. It’s up to you to always be responsible with your work, no matter where you are or what schedule you’re keeping.
- Top-of-the market tools. You get the best hardware on the market and all the software you could need.
What we look for
- Relevant expertise. You have extensive knowledge of Computer Vision and detection techniques, acquired through years of doctoral research or professional experience.
- Relevant knowledge. You’re familiar with Deep Learning and convolutional neural networks. Ideally, in their application to image and video processing.
- Reasoning and depth of learning. You’re structured and creative enough to solve most challenging problems independently, given the necessary knowledge. You learn new concepts and skills rapidly, and love to nerd out and go in-depth.
- Pragmatism and result-orientation. Far from being too academic or obsessive in your perfectionism, you understand that, when getting things done in a competitive world, speed is often as important as quality.
- Passion for the topic. You have a long-standing, proven passion for AI in general and Computer Vision specifically.
- Initiative. You give yourself the green light to act.
- Good communication skills. You can pose questions with clarity, explain your reasoning concisely, pick the right graph to express a message, and create brief, insightful reports with a touch of artistry.
- Proficiency in English. You read, write, and speak proficiently in English.
Commitment & contract
Full-time, permanent (tempo indeterminato).
Compensation & benefits
Compensation depends on seniority, and can include stock options. We also offer healthcare coverage, a welfare plan for your well-being, free weekly yoga classes, and several other perks.
Milan, Corso Como 15, or fully remote if you can’t (or don’t want to) relocate. If you choose the on-site option, keep in mind that it’s still fine to sometimes work remotely, and that we offer substantial support for relocation, including finding an apartment in Milan and paying the rent for 12 weeks.
The current situation hasn’t stopped our hiring and onboarding. Our vacancies are for in-house employment, and we can’t wait to meet the new Spooners in person but, until the Coronavirus is over, we’ll rely on remote onboarding for all new roles. Similarly, all interviews and assessments will take place online.
Please let the company know you found this position via
so we can keep providing you with quality jobs.