About the Team:
The Data Engineering team at Paddle is a new team responsible for building and owning the core data infrastructure and data processing pipelines supporting Paddle’s data products and business insights. The team supports all areas of the business from both from a data warehousing perspective as well as helping deliver solutions on our data streaming infrastructure. The team will initially be 2 data engineers (including yourself) but will scale in subsequent years. It is a huge opportunity to build something from ground up.
Reporting into the CTO, the Data Engineering Team Lead is expected to have expertise in delivery management, data engineering and good software engineering principles. The role involves technical leadership, team management and accountability for the delivery of technical solutions to implement Paddle’s data systems.
What you’ll do:
- Be accountable for the architecture of data platform, services and products and ensure that it is aligned with the broader technology strategy
- Build best practices, standards and continuous improvement of practices & processes - aligned with the ones set across Paddle engineering
- Support, coach and develop high performing engineers through regular 1:1s, setting objectives and goals, managing performance and supporting the development of individual team members
- Be responsible for the overall engagement of your data engineers, ensuring that each individual is aware of set expectations and the overall strategy
- Recruitment of engineers within your team including interviews and onboarding new hires
- Leverage your experience and skills to assist your team in establishing the best architecture
- Work with team leads from SRE and all product engineering teams to standardise our data engineering tech stack, establishing best practices and developing generic software components that can be adopted in multiple projects
- Liaise with operational team leads to identify requirements and develop the necessary data solutions to deliver against those requirements
- Practise DevOps, you’re responsible for getting your code to production and supporting it
- Use the latest AWS services available to run your code and explore the right tools for the job
- Help design a stable platform to support phenomenal growth
- Have a sense of being part of the larger engineering team with a desire to establish best practices & standards and to continuously improve the discipline of product engineering
We'd love to hear from you if you have
- A proven track-record of leading high-performing teams of data engineers and/or software engineers or you’re a seasoned data engineer or software engineer who would like to take on both tech leadership and line management of a data engineering team
- Solid development background with Python
- Experience designing and building systems to handle high traffic at scale in a cloud-based environment in AWS. Experience with Jenkins, Kibana, Grafana & Prometheus highly desirable.
- Solid understanding of data modelling. Experience with Redshift and/or Snowflake a plus.
- Experience with batch processing frameworks, preferably familiarity with DBT, Apache Airflow, or similar
- Experience with Fivetran, Matillion, Stitch, or similar (we use Fivetran)
- Experience with message brokers and stream processing technologies e.g. Kinesis
- Working experience of Reading & Writing Code, Debugging & Troubleshooting, IDE & OS Basics, Pair Programming, Clean Code & Refactoring, Version Control, CI / CD, IoC, and other good software practices.
Please let the company know you found this position via
so we can keep providing you with quality jobs.