There has never been a more exciting time to join our data science team. Why? Because we are at the start of a journey that will fundamentally change our business, and how our customers shop with us both today – and in the future.
We are looking for an experienced leader who would like to work within an exceptional and highly-motivated data science team, specifically focussing on loyalty (Sparks) and customer personalisation. Our team have already built algorithms which personalise millions of offers per month, but there is so much more we can do to make every interaction a personalised and rewarding one for our customers.
The M&S data science function you would be a part of builds end-to-end AI and machine learning solutions in retail and e-commerce and helps our colleagues across the whole business drive value from data and create customised experiences. We apply state of the art machine learning techniques to solve a variety of problems such as outfit recommendations, personalised offers, pricing optimisation, demand forecasting, product waste management, and AI powered campaigns for marketing.
So, if you’re a technical leader who’d like to be part of a team that is already making a difference, and help us transform into a world class data-driven organisation, we’d love to hear from you.
Key accountabilities and measures
- Develop, mentor and coach individual team members as a technical lead
- Assist in the management of the concurrent development of projects through an agile workflow to balance short term delivery with long term development
- Use expert knowledge of data science techniques and statistics to both lead and regularly deliver complex projects, with a robust commercial approach, being mindful that operationalisation is a key success criteria
- Contribute to a long-term vision of the team by going beyond current capabilities and introduce data science solutions into everyday business problems
- Implement a highly visual and commercial approach when delivering data science projects that engages and challenges the thinking of non-technical audiences
- Build industrialized data science products by promoting correct software development standards and practices
- Use knowledge of productionisation and experimentation to take data science models through the end-to-end product development cycle whilst measuring business value and meeting requirements
- Significant experience in landing data science capability, applying the most effective statistical /machine learning models on real world commercial problems and having measured the business benefits
- MSc or PhD in a STEM subject e.g. Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, etc.
- Strong statistical background applied across a number of areas with use cases in Loyalty and/or Personalisation eg segmentations, NLP, predictive modelling. Experience using both simple and complex statistical models such as; regression, clustering, affinity analysis, causal inference models, time series, convolutional neural networks, transformers … .
- Comprehensive proficiency in key programming and scripting languages (e.g. Python, PySpark, SQL, etc) and software development skills.
- Expert in mining large & complex data sets - both structured and unstructured data and including (but not limited to) efficient extraction of data, transformation and application
- Able to demonstrate innovation in approach and application
- Development of collaborative relationships with colleagues across the business
- Clear communication skills are essential as the role will require translating data science into actionable insight and influencing at different levels within M&S
Please let the company know you found this position via
so we can keep providing you with quality jobs.