Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent will operationally work under the Chief, Client Solutions Delivery Section, or a designated officer.
The ICT Specialist (Geospatial Information Systems) will be responsible for the following duties:
- Apply defined technical specifications for products to be derived from satellite/aerial imagery
- Perform spatial and terrain analysis to produce quality products and contribute to generation of reports
- Apply customized models and workflows for 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional analyses
- Conduct intensive fieldwork in support of peace operation in field missions
- Coordinate data collection and performance of quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC)
- Support borehole drilling operations in UN missions
1. Apply defined technical specifications for products to be derived from satellite/aerial
- Processing and interpretation of multispectral and radar imagery to generate products and information related to natural and man-made surface features, geological features, terrain configuration, hydrology, vegetation, sites of interest, etc.;
- Performs image processing tasks to produce quality image maps and orthorectified color balanced mosaics;
- Produces indices from imagery (mineral indices, soil moisture content indices, etc.) to be used in the creation of geological maps;
- Keeps abreast of the latest technologies in image processing and spatial & terrain analysis.
2. Perform spatial and terrain analysis to produce quality products and contribute to
generation of reports:
- Performs spatial and terrain analysis for groundwater exploration;
- Provides technical input in hydrogeology and geophysics.
- Develops technical guidelines and standard operating procedures (SOPs) for conduction of spatial and terrain analyses.
3. Apply customized models and workflows for 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional
- Creates hydrological and hydrogeological numerical models for groundwater basins, using industry standard software, to quantify groundwater reserves and identify groundwater potential around mission camps and installations;
- Applies customized workflows for processing digital elevation models (DEM) to generate specific products required for spatial and terrain analysis;
- Uses developed workflows for production of contours, slopes, aspects, and shaded relief to be used in a variety of geospatial applications such as line of sight analysis, trafficability, etc.);
- Contributes to production of quality data, timely and accurate information, and reports to support field missions' operations and decision-making processes.
4. Conduct intensive fieldwork in support of peace operation in field missions:
- Plans and executes geophysical surveys for groundwater exploration in field missions;
- Conducts well assessment activities, including pumping tests, borehole camera surveys and make recommendations for well rehabilitation;
- Designs groundwater monitoring programmes and analyses data from groundwater sensors to ensure sustainable management of groundwater resources within mission areas of operation.
5. Coordinate data collection and performance of quality assurance and quality control
6. Supports borehole drilling operations in UN missions
- Engages in the timely preparation, maintenance and provision of geospatial information in support of UN field mission's operations;
- Collects, processes and evaluates geospatial data including vector, raster and thematic data;
- Works with the technical team in the development and maintenance of web services and dissemination of geospatial information;
- Coordinates timely exchange of geospatial information;
- Performs QA/QC on all products generated and disseminated by the GIS Section.
- Performs drilling supervision of third-party drilling contractors;
- Works with contractors and provides technical supervision and guidance on drilling activities;
- Supports drilling contract procurement activities, including Scope of Work and Bill of Quantities preparation and contractor bid evaluation.
Performs other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
The result of work of the ICT Specialist (Geospatial Information Systems) impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Section as well as the performance of the services implemented. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
The incumbent is expected to work with minimal amount of supervision to independently provides accurate deliverables in the areas of GIS, Hydrogeology and Groundwater Service delivery.
* FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) preferably in Geology, Hydrogeology, Geophysics, Remote Sensing, Geospatial Information Systems (GIS) or related fields.
A first-level university degree in combination with an additional two (2) years qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in processing, analyzing, and interpreting multispectral and radar imagery for hydrogeological applications is required;
Performance of geospatial/terrain analysis and ability to conduct geo-physical surveys is also required;
Excellent knowledge and practical experience of GIS software such as ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, or QGIS is required.
Excellent knowledge of image processing software, such as Erdas Imagine, ENVI, Google Earth Engine, or SNAP is required.
Desirable(The following experience is optional. Candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply)
- Experience in Existing Wells Assessment and Rehabilitation is highly desirable.
- Excellent knowledge of electrical resistivity tomography (ERT) methods and data analysis is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of hydrological and hydrogeological numerical modelling software;
- Knowledge of cartography and mapping, as well as GPS surveying;
- Work experience with UN field operations;
- Knowledge of base mapping, geospatial information system design and implementation, geospatial database design and development, web technologies and project management methodologies;
- Knowledge of geospatial python libraries and Jupyter Notebook implementation.
For this job opening, fluency in English (read, write, speak) is required;
Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
Please let the company know you found this position via
so we can keep providing you with quality jobs.